A. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
The role of the Program Manager (ALSR) is to conceptualise, plan and monitor the development, implementation and evaluation of effective, timely and appropriate programmes and projects for the Unit. This will help to promote better understanding of issues in Islam that uphold the principles of equality, justice, freedom and dignity within a democratic state framework.
- Develop, strategise and plan effective policy and public advocacy strategies to advance the mission and objectives of Sisters in Islam (SIS);
- Develop effective links with government agencies, religious institutions and legislative bodies to promote the work of SIS and lobby for law and policy reform;
- Network and liaise with other women’s and civil society groups in taking up joint actions for legal reform;
- Initiate working relationships with new networks and contacts to support the advocacy work of SIS;
- Conduct survey and data collection, when required, so as to strengthen analysis and advocacy work.
- Ensure the provision of support in relation to any advocacy related activities implemented by or to be implemented together with the Outreach and Empowerment Unit.
2. Legal Services
- Monitor and ensure the effectiveness of the Telenisa legal services and related programmes;
- Manage the effective monitoring and analysis of the SIS caseload and to use the data to transform the substance, structure and culture of the law to ensure women’s access to justice;
- Liaise with the organisation’s legal counsels and/or lawyers for cases pertaining to any litigations or courts proceedings that has a direct or indirect impact to the organisation.
- Develop, monitor, manage and oversee to the successful completion of SIS research projects, either within the ALSR unit or in close collaboration with an appointed research coordinator.
- Promote the work of SIS and represent SIS at national, regional and international meetings, seminars, workshops, and conferences;
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with other women’s groups, government agencies, religious institutions and others to promote the work and interest of SIS;
- Liaise with women’s groups, other NGOs and civil society groups, other target groups such as government agencies, student and youth organisations to promote the work and interests of SIS;
- Contribute to the strengthening of teamwork and team spirit at SIS, including organising staff discussions and social gatherings.
5. Organisational Development (General)
- Report regularly to the Executive Director on the progress of work and to inform of any issues which are potentially constructive or detrimental to the organisation;
- In collaboration with Executive Director and appropriate staff members, contribute to the development and submission of funding narrative and budget proposals, contracts or agreements;
- Assist in the conduct of activities such as meetings, brainstorming etc as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director;
- Participate in staff meetings, management team meetings and in the Board meetings when necessary;
- Contribute to team tasks at SIS, such as scanning and assessing incoming materials and communications, and engaging with visitors.
- All administrative tasks related to your job function to ensure organisational efficiency and effectiveness;
- Assist the Executive Director in any other tasks as instructed in pursuit of the vision, mission and objectives of SIS;
- Ensure high quality implementation of projects;
- Submit a quarterly written report on your core areas of work and projects to the Executive Director;
- Assist the Executive Director and the management team in any other tasks as instructed in pursuit of the vision, mission and objectives of SIS;
- Assist in day-to-day efficient running of the office;
- Carry out other duties as may be reasonably required to meet the primary objectives of the position.
The position is directly accountable to the Executive Director.
C. Required Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Law. Candidates with knowledge on Shariah laws and Shariah Legal System will have added advantage;
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience with a minimum of 5 years leadership experience;
- Willing to be involved in public advocacy work or event;
- Team player with the ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks;
- Possess effective oral and written communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
- Passionate to work with NGO.