A. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
Reporting directly to the Program Manager of Advocacy, Legal Services & Research Unit (“ALSR”), the Legal and Advocacy Senior Officer is responsible providing legal advice and supervising and co-ordinating SIS Forum Malaysia (SIS)’s legal advisory services, managing SIS’s legal cases in court, networking and communicating effectively with the general public and target groups and delivering programmes and activities as assigned.
1. Legal Advisory Services
- To provide the organisation with necessary legal advice and opinion;
- To manage the organisation’s cases in court;
- Has a supervisory capacity over the legal officer and chambering students in Telenisa;
- As assigned, to provide legal advice to clients of Telenisa;
- To coordinate and be a resource person in the orientation session for Telenisa chambering students;
- To supervise the maintenance of the Telenisa database, and draft the Telenisa statistics booklet annually, and identify trends and areas for advocacy.
2. Monitor Women’s Access to Justice
- To monitor cases in the Syariah Courts and identify instances of discrimination and biasness which leads to reduced or removal of access to justice;
- As assigned, to be part of the legal advisory team for clients, particularly in very complex cases;
- To identify trends and systematic weaknesses in the legal and judicial system, to prepare submissions to government or articles to press and to conduct other activities to advocate for reform.
3. Advocacy, Engagement and Outreach
- Where required, to give input, talks and media interviews to raise public awareness on women’s rights and access to justice;
- To source out opportunities to disseminate legal literacy awareness information to the public, and to women in particular;
- To provide content for SIS legal literacy publications;
- To support other units in the organisation in engagement and outreach programmes.
- To liaise with women’s groups, other NGOs, government agencies, religious institutions and others to promote the work and interests of SIS;
- To build allies for policy and law reforms;
- To represent SIS at national, regional and international meetings, seminars, workshops, media interviews and conferences as required.
- To support the Management to draw up programmes for funding proposals, submissions or contracts/agreements.
- To undertake administrative tasks related to the job function;
- To support the Management in any other tasks as instructed in pursuit of the vision, mission and objectives of SIS;
- Prepare reports to the Program Manager on the progress of work and to inform of any issues which are potentially constructive or detrimental to the organization;
- Carry out other duties as may be reasonably required to meet the primary objectives of the position.
B. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in law;
- Knowledge on Shariah laws and the Shariah legal system;
- Team player with the ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks;
- Good command of English and Bahasa Malaysia;
- Willing to be involved in public advocacy work or event;
- Candidates with counselling experience/knowledge are encouraged to apply.
- • Passionate to work with an NGO.