A. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
The Communications Manager develops, manages and implements a strategic communications program that supports SIS’s mission and objectives under the direction of the Executive Director.
- Conceptualise, plan and apply a communication (press, social media, and public engagement) strategy in relation to traditional and emergent media that will enable SIS to communicate effectively with the general public and also target groups, including policy makers, the religious authorities, the academia, Islamic and women’s groups and Friends of Sisters in Islam.
- Continually evaluate SIS communications strategies, including the use of various campaigns to facilitate successful outcomes of SIS law and policy reform initiatives.
- Planning and execution of communications related programmes and events, including workshops, seminars and productions.
- Promote SIS as the voice of moderation and reason in Islam.
- Monitor and ensure the effectiveness of the SIS website as a resource and advocacy tool to promote the work of SIS.
- Co-manage the SIS database, ensuring it is up-to-date, continually expanded and evaluated to ensure it sustains a capacity for strategic and efficient communications and marketing.
- Assist in writing letters or memoranda to the Government, letters to the editor, press statements and to give press interviews on issues of concern.
- Ensure follow-up work is done to meet the objectives of each project in the Communications Unit.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an annual media strategy, which maximises the potential of all media outlets by identifying opportunities to engage proactively to raise the profile of SIS and SIS issues in all relevant media.
- Ensure that relationships, including new contacts, are developed with the media to promote SIS mission and objectives.
- Maintain a media database of journalists, editors and other editorial personnel.
- Maintain a database of press secretaries, public relation personnel, media personnel, corporate communication personnel, marcom personnel and other communications personnel.
- Monitor and regulate the response to reactive media queries, including working with programme staff and SIS members who are part of the first line response to such queries.
- Initiate, coordinate or provide support for proactive coverage of issues related to SIS mission and objectives, including press conferences, media briefings and interviews.
- Monitor the implementation of the standard media response plan.
- Ensure that processes are put in place to keep SIS aware of media coverage of women’s rights and Islam and related issues and that the implications of information gathered from such processes are communicated internally and externally.
- Provide advice and direct support on publicity and media interest for key events and fundraising activities.
- Produce news releases, statements and articles for internal and external publications.
- Daily media monitoring and analysis of news with regards to SIS work and issues.
- Pitch important SIS issues to media for print, online and broadcast exposure opportunities
- Spread awareness to members of media on gender appropriate language, angles and ethics of news reporting
- Establish and maintain good working relationship with members of the media.
- Analysis of broad and focused media trends and current issues and recommendations to Executive Director and Management Team.
3. Social Media:
- Supervise all social media strategy and goals to increase brand awareness and engagement.
- Creation of timely and comprehensive social media content to increase number of followers and rate of engagement across all current and future SIS social media platforms.
- Monitoring and analysis of broad and focused social media trends.
- Ensure that all SIS social media platforms remain as safe and constructive spaces for conversations on SIS issues.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with people who frequently contribute constructive engagements on SIS social media platforms.
- Monitor and supervise performance of all social media platform using tools such as Facebook Business Manager, Google Analytics and any other relevant tools.
- Supervise marketing and advertising campaign on Facebook with Facebook Business Manager, Google Adwords and any other relevant marketing and advertising campaign platforms. (This requires rudimentary knowledge on how Facebook Marketing, Business Manager and Google Adwords function).
- Supervise live social media streaming of public SIS events and facilitation of online commentary pre, during and post streaming.
- Supervise the production of the SIS Annual Report, Baraza! E-Newsletter and Q&A booklets to promote better understanding of issues in Islam and developments in the Muslim world
- Supervise all other SIS publications to their satisfactory completion
- Supervise the effective promotion and distribution of SIS publications, at the national and international levels
- Promote the translation of SIS publications;
- Supervise production of video and other broadcast content for SIS
- Prepare funding proposals and reports on the programme.
5. Knowledge Management and Info-Comms:
- Coordinate queries pertaining to knowledge management;
- Facilitate knowledge sharing with SIS staff, SIS members and relevant partners;
- Supervision to ensure that SIS website is maintained, updated regularly and suggest improvements.
- Liaise with other women’s groups, government agencies, religious institutions and others to promote the work and interests of SIS.
- Give talks as and when required.
- Represent SIS at relevant meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences, training programmes, locally and internationally.
7. Organisational Development (General):
- Report regularly to the Executive Director on the progress of work and inform the Management Team of any issues which are potentially constructive or detrimental to the organization in a timely manner;
- Assist in the conduct of activities such as meetings, brainstorming exercises etc as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director;
- Participate in staff meetings, and in Management Team meetings;
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and appropriate staff members, contribute to the development of funding proposals, submissions and/or contracts/agreements.
- Ensure high quality implementation of projects;
- Assist in day-to-day efficient running of the office;
- Assist the Executive Director and the management team in any other tasks as instructed in pursuit of the vision, mission and objectives of Sisters in Islam;
- Carry out other duties as may be reasonably required to meet the primary objectives of the position.
B. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations or media studies;
- 5 years of professional experience with a minimum of 3 years of senior communications leadership experience;
- Experience in developing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence, engaging community partners, media, and partnering with an Executive Director and peers;
- Possess effective oral and written communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience with reporting and evaluating communication effectiveness;
- Passionate to work with NGO.